One of the easiest side dishes for a barbeque is vegan baked beans. Even though canned vegetarian baked beans can be purchased at a store, homemade vegan baked beans taste better. And vegan baked beans are healthier than any canned version in a store.
Instead of opting for a can of baked beans, try making vegan baked beans at home.
Let's look at the ingredients in a typical can of vegetarian baked beans.
WHAT'S IN BUSH'S VEGETARIAN BAKED BEANS?
- Prepared Navy Beans
- Brown Sugar
- Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste, Water)
- Mustard (Water, Vinegar, Mustard Seed, Salt, Paprika, Turmeric)
- Modified Corn Starch
- Onion Powder
- Extractive of Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Natural Flavor
THE INGREDIENTS IN MY VEGAN BAKED BEAN RECIPE
Instead of only using navy beans, I prefer a combination of pinto and navy beans. Pinto beans, though meatier than navy beans, taste creamy and rich, absorbing the flavors of the sauce. However, navy beans taste milder, enhancing the flavors of the spices in the vegan baked beans. Therefore, combining the two beans together makes for the perfect marriage of texture and taste.
INGREDIENTS IN MY BEANS
- Navy Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Sweet Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Yellow Mustard
- BBQ Sauce
- Maple Syrup
- Vegan Worchestershire Sauce
THREE COOKING OPTIONS AVAILABLE
Furthermore, there are three cooking options for vegan baked beans, so pick your cooking style based on your preference.
VEGAN BAKED BEANS AS A SIDE DISH FOR YOUR BBQ FAVORITES
Because my family loves to barbeque on the weekends, vegan baked beans are the perfect side dish. For instance, vegan baked beans are great with my Beet Burger.
Or, my new Tofu Burger tastes great with a side of baked beans.
Another great idea is to serve baked beans with a Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Sandwich.
Regardless of what you cook on the grill this weekend, try some baked beans on the side; you won't be disappointed.
HERE ARE SOME GREAT SIDES FOR YOUR NEXT BARBEQUE
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- BBQ Coleslaw Recipe
- Cajun Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Fruit Salsa Recipe
- Pesto Potato Salad
- Lemony Orzo Salad
- Healthy Greek Pasta Salad
Vegan Baked Beans
- 15 ounces navy beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño deseeded and deveined, diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce of choice
- 1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pepper
COOKING IN A PAN
- Saute diced sweet onions and garlic until onions are translucent
- Add diced jalapeno
- Then add both cans of beans (rinsed and drained)
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Stir and bring to a boil
- Then, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every once in a while.
- Place all ingredients in a crockpot, stir and cover
- Cook for 4 hours on low heat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place beans in a pyrex glass or baking dish; cover
- Cook covered for 1 hour
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂