There's something about a hot vegan enchilada casserole that brings comfort on a cold day. Instead of making Vegan Enchiladas, I decided to put my enchiladas in a casserole for an easy dinner.
Since the holidays are hectic, I'm all about easy meals I can make ahead of time and cook when ready. Vegan enchilada casserole is a casserole layered with vegetables, corn tortillas, and Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce.
Another bonus to this recipe is that I can make it ahead of time and then bake it whenever I want. Sometimes, I even bake it ahead of time and reheat the enchilada casserole.
What ingredients are needed for vegan enchilada casserole?
- Corn or flour tortillas (I used corn tortillas)
- White or yellow onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Pinto Beans or black beans (I used pinto beans)
- Enchilada sauce (homemade recipe included or oil-free enchilada sauce of choice)
- Vegan Lentil Taco Meat (optional)
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Cilantro (garnish)
- Roma Tomatoes (garnish)
- Green Onions (garnish)
Homemade Enchilada Sauce or Enchilada Sauce of Choice
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Apple cider vinegar
- Adobo chili pepper
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
Alternative Quick and Easy Enchilada Sauce
Another option for a quick and easy enchilada sauce for vegan enchilada casserole is to combine two simple ingredients:
How to layer the vegan enchilada casserole...
Begin the enchilada sauce by pouring 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8 X 8 casserole dish. As a result, the casserole won't stick to the bottom of the dish.
Next, cut the tortillas in half and arrange them on top of the enchilada sauce crisis crossing half the tortillas into a sealed layer. Then, add half the sauteed vegetables and beans, followed by half of the Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce, followed by the Vegan Lentil Taco Meat(optional), and more enchilada sauce.
Once the first layers are complete, repeat with more tortillas, beans vegetable mixture, lentil meat (if using), and Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce. Top with the rest of the enchilada sauce, and cover with aluminum foil for baking.
Baking vegan enchilada casserole
The enchilada casserole can be baked immediately or baked later. Or, the casserole can be baked and reheated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the vegan enchilada casserole covered for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes
- Remove the casserole from the oven and cover it again with aluminum foil and allow it to set up for about 10 minutes.
- Or, bake the casserole, allow it to cool completely, and refrigerate until you are ready to reheat individual pieces or the entire casserole.
Do you love vegan Mexican food? If so, check out these yummy Mexican recipes.
- Vegan Taquitos
- The Best Ultimate Vegan Lentil Black Bean Burrito Ever
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Healthy Burrito Bowl
- Potato Tacos
- Walnut Meat Tacos
- Tofu Tacos
- Mushroom Chorizo Tacos
- Mexican Street Corn - Vegan!
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂