Recently, I made barbecue seitan and decided to turn it into a beef burrito recipe. Seitan, a vegan meat replacement, easily transforms into various recipes. Barbecue seitan is simply seitan marinated in homemade barbecue sauce and reheated for this yummy beef burrito recipe. Even though I chose to use my barbecue seitan for a burrito, barbecue seitan works well in sandwiches, salads, or just eaten with a fork and knife.
The first time I ate a barbecue seitan burrito was at a local Mexican restaurant, Sol Mexican Cocina, in Scottsdale. Luckily many local restaurants cater to plant-based diets with separate vegan menus.
Instead of a Mexican theme, I chose to create an Asian beef burrito full of spicy and savory flavors.
How to make barbecue seitan
Although seitan is sold in stores, I prefer to make my own seitan recipe. One seitan recipe makes 2 pounds of seitan, which is divided and marinated separately, creates several different meals.
- Seitan Bacon
- Recipes for Seitan
- Vegan Reuben
- French Dip
Once the seitan is made, separate ½ and cut into bite-sized pieces. Then, marinate the cut seitan in ½ cup Healthy BBQ Sauce or a BBQ sauce of choice. I do, however, suggest marinating overnight to enhance flavor. Also, marinated seitan freezes well. So, an entire batch freezes for months.
When it's time to cook the barbecue seitan, thaw completely, if frozen, and warm in a skillet on medium-low heat.
What Ingredients are in this yummy barbecue 'beef 'burrito?
- Healthy BBQ Sauce
- Oil-Free Large Tortillas
- Purple Cabbage
- Red Onion
- Cooked Brown Rice
- Yum Yum Sauce
What is kimchi?
Kimchi, a staple in Korean cuisine, is a traditional side dish of salted and fermented vegetables, such as napa cabbage and Korean radish, made with a widely varying selection of seasonings gochujang, spring onions, garlic, and ginger.
Be careful, though, because some kimchi includes fish sauce. Instead, look for kimchi in the store that says VEGAN to avoid wasting money.
The steps to making a barbecue seitan burrito
Sometimes, oil-free tortillas are more firm than those with oil. To soften the tortillas, for trouble-free rolling, microwave the tortillas for a minute. As a result, the tortillas roll easier without breaking.
First, lay the tortillas on a flat surface. Then, place ¼ of the cooked brown rice and ¼ of the barbecue seitan in the tortilla center.
Next, add cilantro, purple cabbage, and red onion. Another tip to successful burrito making is to put dry ingredients in the burrito first, followed by the wet ones.
To prevent the burrito from getting soggy, add the kimchi and yum yum sauce last. No one likes a soggy burrito.
What is yum yum sauce? Yummy is what it is!
Yum, Yum Sauce, the name says it all, a Japanese steak house mayo-based sauce amazing. This popular sauce is light, sweet, and tangy! Unfortunately, this yummy sauce isn't vegan, so my vegan version is a fabulous replacement.
- cashew vegan mayo (or vegan mayo of choice)
- Organic tomato paste
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Maple syrup
- Soy sauce (or Tamari for gluten-free sauce)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
For a nut-free option, add white beans instead of cashews.
Cooking the barbecue seitan burrito
Once rolled, the barbecue seitan beef burrito browns quickly in an oil-free skillet on medium-low heat. As the burrito browns, turn over until all the sides are golden brown. Then, remove from the pan, and cut in half. Serve with extra yum yum sauce if you dare.
Barbecue seitan stuffed inside a burrito with veggies, rice, and some Asian flavors were a BIG hit at my house.
Are you a vegan sandwich lover? Try these yummy vegan sandwiches
- Veg Wrap
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- BBQ Cauliflower
- Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- Italian Sandwiches
- Vegetable Sandwich
- Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Salad
- Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe
- Roasted Vegetable and Hummus Grilled Lavash Wrap
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Beet Burger
- Tempeh Reuben
- ¼ recipe Seitan cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup healthy barbecue sauce or barbecue sauce
- 4 large oil-free tortillas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup purple cabbage diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cup vegan kimchi squeezed dry
- ¼ cup yum yum sauce recipe
- Make 1 recipe of Setian and separate ¼ of the recipe.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Place cut seitan and ½ cup healthy barbecue sauce in a refrigerator-safe container and marinate overnight.
- Barbecue seitan can also be frozen in the marinade and thawed for later use.
- Heat barbecue seitan in a skillet on medium-low until heated through.
- Stir while cooking.
- Add a small amount of vegetable broth or water if the seitan sticks to the pan.
Making the barbecue beef burrito
- Lay each tortilla on a flat surface
- Place ¼ of the cooked brown rice in the center of each burrito.
- Now, add ¼ of the barbecue seitan.
- Then add ¼ of the vegetables.
- End by adding ¼ of the kimchi and yum-yum sauce.
- Next, roll the burritos tightly by folding the short sides while rolling the burrito away from you.
- Cook in a skillet on medium-low heat, turning the burrito until all sides are golden brown.
- Cut each burrito in half and serve with extra yum yum sauce.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂
Leave a Reply